McCall and Roseberry in 1910
Extracted from "The King's Pines of Idaho; a Story of the Browns of McCall" by Grace Edgington Jordan, Binfords & Mort Publishers, Portland, Oregon, 1961; p. 39:
If Browns' new home town had a rival, it was hardly Lardo, just west of the lake outlet, with post office, school and store. No, it was Roseberry, down the valley to the southeast. The town had been laid out by John Jasper in 1870. It grew slowly until about 1888 when an area influx of thrifty Finnlanders gave it a big stimulus. Thanks to certain provisions laid down by its founder, Roseberry had a completely different flavor from McCall. For instance "vending of intoxicating drinks and the maintencance of lewd or indecent resorts" was forbidden. Any such provision in McCall in 1910 would have eliminated considerable business. One Roseberry woman did give trouble, but her property was not seized - she was firmly warned.
The town had two "nice comfortable churches", a doctor and a bank, whereas McCall had none of these. Roseberry had a 23-room hotel, run by Winkler and McDougal, and an emporium where under one roof whiskers could be removed, phone business transacted and confectionery bought. Its sawmill was smaller than the one in McCall, but still it was very busy.
In neither town was there an undertaker, but neighbors laid out the dead, then sat up with the corpse day and night until burial. The neighbors also made the coffin, copying a store coffin kept in McCall, and women always padded the box softly with cotton before lining it with cloth.
McCall was still bold and brash . . .
Copyright © 2009 - Sharon McConnel. All Rights Reserved.